Welcome to where I am, where my kitchen's always messy, a pot's (or a poet) always about to boil over, a dog is always begging to be fed. Drafts of poems on the counter. Windows filled with leaves. Wind. Clouds moving over the mountains. If you like poetry, books, and music--especially dog howls when a siren unwinds down the hill-- you'll like it here.


MY NEW AUTHOR'S SITE, KATHRYNSTRIPLINGBYER.COM, THAT I MYSELF SET UP THROUGH WEEBLY.COM, IS NOW UP. I HAD FUN CREATING THIS SITE AND WOULD RECOMMEND WEEBLY.COM TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN SETTING UP A WEBSITE. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT MY NEW SITE TO KEEP UP WITH EVENTS RELATED TO MY NEW BOOK.


MY NC POET LAUREATE BLOG, MY LAUREATE'S LASSO, WILL REMAIN UP AS AN ARCHIVE OF NC POETS, GRADES K-INFINITY! I INVITE YOU TO VISIT WHEN YOU FEEL THE NEED TO READ SOME GOOD POEMS.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG, MOUNTAIN WOMAN, WHERE YOU WILL FIND UPDATES ON WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY KITCHEN, IN THE ENVIRONMENT, IN MY IMAGINATION, IN MY GARDEN, AND AMONG MY MOUNTAIN WOMEN FRIENDS.




Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Great-Grandmother's Oil Paintings

This is my first morning back in the mountains after a week in southwest Georgia. It's cold! Well, not as cold as it will be later, but it's 37 degrees, which feels pretty cold after south Georgia weather. I had business and family matters to keep me busy while there, but I did make some photos of three of my great-grandmother's paintings. Vicki Lane asked to see some of them, after my post about Cindy Davis and my great-grandmother, Ella Valentine Fry (7/10/08--Paintings that burn through my Eyes). Here is one that hung beside the staircase until we moved it to the house in Camilla where my mother now lives.



This painting hung in the living room and has always been one of my favorites.



This painting once graced the dining room. I apologize for the glare on one side of it.



There are many more still in the farm house. I'll hope to make photographs of them eventually.

4 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Thank you, Kay! These are wonderful -- especially the children at the seaside!

I love having art by friends and family. We're fortunate to have inherited some by my husband's grandmother and uncle - both of whom were serious artists. And we're lucky in having talented friends who'll do trades.

Glenda Council Beall said...

Hi Kay,
I love the paintings and wonder about the era or what years they were painted. Did she do these when she was young or when she was older?
I have a number of paintings by Helen Beall, Barry's mother and I treasure them.

Susan M. Bell said...

Beautiful paintings. I have to agree with you about the second one. It's my favorite as well. Something about the colors of the sky with that mountain standing tall...

I am not fortunate to have any kind of art work from my ancestors. Don't even know if any of them had any artistic talent. But, I do like to hunt up things at flea markets, yard sales and thrift shops. There are some great "treasures" out there.

Jane said...

It's fascinating to have this kind of family heirloom. I'd love to see more pictures of the paintings.