Welcome to where I am, where my kitchen's always messy, a pot's (or a poet) always about to boil over, a dog is always begging to be fed. Drafts of poems on the counter. Windows filled with leaves. Wind. Clouds moving over the mountains. If you like poetry, books, and music--especially dog howls when a siren unwinds down the hill-- you'll like it here.


MY NEW AUTHOR'S SITE, KATHRYNSTRIPLINGBYER.COM, THAT I MYSELF SET UP THROUGH WEEBLY.COM, IS NOW UP. I HAD FUN CREATING THIS SITE AND WOULD RECOMMEND WEEBLY.COM TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN SETTING UP A WEBSITE. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT MY NEW SITE TO KEEP UP WITH EVENTS RELATED TO MY NEW BOOK.


MY NC POET LAUREATE BLOG, MY LAUREATE'S LASSO, WILL REMAIN UP AS AN ARCHIVE OF NC POETS, GRADES K-INFINITY! I INVITE YOU TO VISIT WHEN YOU FEEL THE NEED TO READ SOME GOOD POEMS.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG, MOUNTAIN WOMAN, WHERE YOU WILL FIND UPDATES ON WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY KITCHEN, IN THE ENVIRONMENT, IN MY IMAGINATION, IN MY GARDEN, AND AMONG MY MOUNTAIN WOMEN FRIENDS.




Saturday, February 21, 2009

South Georgia Sunsets

Sunsets on the coastal plain can be magnificent. Although we had rain for a couple of days while I was visiting my mother last week, there were some sunsets worth capturing--and playing around with on my computer. Here's a blazing red one just outside the backdoor.



This "green sunset" could be dawn and not dusk.



My favorite? A blue sunset, with all the poetry and melancholy that this image conjures up in the imagination. Sunsets on the plains have always called to me,closer, come closer. Or Stay still. Stop breathing. Wait. No doubt that's why I respond so strongly to Cindy Davis's paintings. (See post before this one.)

8 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Aren't digital cameras great!

Beautiful skies!

Lynn ... said...

Kathryn ... oh wow. Growing up around Savannah for a while, you triggered (yet another) memory. The sunsets WERE always spectacular! But you also reminded me of how my Dad, try as he might, could never get a single photo of ANYTHING capture-worthy without a "telephone pole" being in the shot. That's the way of South Georgia though. Years later as we were going through pictures, there was a shot of us all at my Uncles house in Richmond Hill, Georgia (near Savannah), and out their front window just behind our heads was - you guessed it - a telephone pole. For my family, it's how we tell where we are. "Oh, look Mary ... this is from Valdosta. That's the telephone pole outside the post office!"

I love your pictures Kathryn! The colors are incredible, but I'm especially partial to the pink and blue one.

Jane said...

I love the blue and green sunsets - something a bit different.

Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Hi Lynn, Vicki, and Jane---yes, telephone poles are ubiquitous in the plains skyline, but I guess we just have to accept them and be glad the clouds and sun are doing their thing, no matter what. I have come to enjoy fiddling with my digital camera, finding out how I can give a photo another dimension, another vision--though that sounds pretentious. It's fun, and it gives me another way to engage with the landscape.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathryn,
I was down south also and saw a beautiful sunset on Monday afternoon, but was in the car and could not get it captured. Your photos are fantastic.

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

Oh my.
these are breathtaking!

karenh said...

Alone, these pictures are beautiful; together they're incredible. You're a digital Monet!

Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Hey, I wish I were a Monet! I wanted to be a visual artist when I was young. A digital camera gives me chance to play at being one, I suppose.