Welcome to where I am, where my kitchen's always messy, a pot's (or a poet) always about to boil over, a dog is always begging to be fed. Drafts of poems on the counter. Windows filled with leaves. Wind. Clouds moving over the mountains. If you like poetry, books, and music--especially dog howls when a siren unwinds down the hill-- you'll like it here.


MY NEW AUTHOR'S SITE, KATHRYNSTRIPLINGBYER.COM, THAT I MYSELF SET UP THROUGH WEEBLY.COM, IS NOW UP. I HAD FUN CREATING THIS SITE AND WOULD RECOMMEND WEEBLY.COM TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN SETTING UP A WEBSITE. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT MY NEW SITE TO KEEP UP WITH EVENTS RELATED TO MY NEW BOOK.


MY NC POET LAUREATE BLOG, MY LAUREATE'S LASSO, WILL REMAIN UP AS AN ARCHIVE OF NC POETS, GRADES K-INFINITY! I INVITE YOU TO VISIT WHEN YOU FEEL THE NEED TO READ SOME GOOD POEMS.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG, MOUNTAIN WOMAN, WHERE YOU WILL FIND UPDATES ON WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY KITCHEN, IN THE ENVIRONMENT, IN MY IMAGINATION, IN MY GARDEN, AND AMONG MY MOUNTAIN WOMEN FRIENDS.




Wednesday, November 18, 2009

GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS BOOKFAIR, PART 2

One of the pleasures of the Great Smoky Mountains Bookfair was meeting the editors of the new literary magazine fresh...stories, poems, ideas--JC Walkup (Publisher), Penny Morse (Poetry Editor, and Buffy Queen (Non Fiction Editor). We nabbed a passer-by, who looked like a student and therefore more techno-savvy than we are, to capture the four of us beside my table.










They also snapped me in the process of writing a poem for one of the winners of our Bookfair Student Poetry Contest.





And here's my friend Vicki Lane chatting with my mentor and friend Fred Chappell. Fred looks as if he's deep into ponder-mode. I wonder what they were talking about.





As for fresh, the first issue features Robert Morgan with three poems, a story by Kathryn Magendie, and, among many other pieces, a poem by Keith Flynn, Editor of The Asheville Poetry Review, just off the presses. The deadline for the next issue is Dec. 1st, so consider submitting some Winter related work right away. The address is fresh, LLC, P.O. Box 107, Canton, NC 28716.


Why a new literary magazine? Publisher JC Walkup explains. Please click on the image for better reading.



fresh is also offering a fiction and non-fiction contests, deadline Dec. 1, so click on the page image below for more information. The winning story and essay will be published in a future issue, and the 3 top pieces will also receive a monetary award.
But hurry--the deadline for submissions is drawing closer.

2 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

He does that pondering thing a lot, I noticed. I was probably gushing about how much I like the poems he and his wife read together at the Burnsville Festival.

Jessie Carty said...

so nice to see these pics! i missed getting to see Fred read when he came to charlotte :( and to hear about fresh. will have to see if I have anything to submit :)