Welcome to where I am, where my kitchen's always messy, a pot's (or a poet) always about to boil over, a dog is always begging to be fed. Drafts of poems on the counter. Windows filled with leaves. Wind. Clouds moving over the mountains. If you like poetry, books, and music--especially dog howls when a siren unwinds down the hill-- you'll like it here.


MY NEW AUTHOR'S SITE, KATHRYNSTRIPLINGBYER.COM, THAT I MYSELF SET UP THROUGH WEEBLY.COM, IS NOW UP. I HAD FUN CREATING THIS SITE AND WOULD RECOMMEND WEEBLY.COM TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN SETTING UP A WEBSITE. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT MY NEW SITE TO KEEP UP WITH EVENTS RELATED TO MY NEW BOOK.


MY NC POET LAUREATE BLOG, MY LAUREATE'S LASSO, WILL REMAIN UP AS AN ARCHIVE OF NC POETS, GRADES K-INFINITY! I INVITE YOU TO VISIT WHEN YOU FEEL THE NEED TO READ SOME GOOD POEMS.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG, MOUNTAIN WOMAN, WHERE YOU WILL FIND UPDATES ON WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY KITCHEN, IN THE ENVIRONMENT, IN MY IMAGINATION, IN MY GARDEN, AND AMONG MY MOUNTAIN WOMEN FRIENDS.




Tuesday, April 19, 2011

POET OF THE DAY: Robert West

"It's remarkable how often the national poetry establishment fails to celebrate the many fine southern poets writing today. Our poets win an oddly small number of major literary awards, and they appear in far too few anthologies of national scope. " How could I not be partial to a poet who at the beginning of a review in a major Southern literary journal states precisely what I've been thinking? I've known Robert West since the days when he was editor The Carolina Quarterly at UNC-CH, where he received his PhD. He now teaches at Mississippi State University, though I'm hoping he will return eventually to his native state one of these days.
He's one of the sharpest critics around, and to add to his luster, he is a native of the western NC mountains. As if he needed any more luster, I'll polish off his biography by saying that he's also a poet, a widely published one-- the author of two poetry chapbooks: Best Company (2005) and Out of Hand (2007)--with a third due soon from Finishing Line Press. The poems below are from that forthcoming collection.




The Owl

after Apollinaire


My heart’s an owl nailed down, then freed,

then nailed again. Too spent to bleed,

it hardly feels a thing these days.

All those who love me win my praise.






Point Taken



If acting like a child could keep me young,

I’d look and feel much better than I do:


a logic I can laugh at now once stung

because I caught the drift of it from you.




Union



We make such us of you and me

as can’t define or trace the tie


between the two we used to be:

that compound subject, you and I.






Aubade



A gray

morning


like this

is


good only

for


going back

to


bed with

you


so far

away.







2 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Short, sweet, and right on!

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

Wonderfully, short and simple, insightful.