Welcome to where I am, where my kitchen's always messy, a pot's (or a poet) always about to boil over, a dog is always begging to be fed. Drafts of poems on the counter. Windows filled with leaves. Wind. Clouds moving over the mountains. If you like poetry, books, and music--especially dog howls when a siren unwinds down the hill-- you'll like it here.


MY NEW AUTHOR'S SITE, KATHRYNSTRIPLINGBYER.COM, THAT I MYSELF SET UP THROUGH WEEBLY.COM, IS NOW UP. I HAD FUN CREATING THIS SITE AND WOULD RECOMMEND WEEBLY.COM TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN SETTING UP A WEBSITE. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT MY NEW SITE TO KEEP UP WITH EVENTS RELATED TO MY NEW BOOK.


MY NC POET LAUREATE BLOG, MY LAUREATE'S LASSO, WILL REMAIN UP AS AN ARCHIVE OF NC POETS, GRADES K-INFINITY! I INVITE YOU TO VISIT WHEN YOU FEEL THE NEED TO READ SOME GOOD POEMS.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG, MOUNTAIN WOMAN, WHERE YOU WILL FIND UPDATES ON WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY KITCHEN, IN THE ENVIRONMENT, IN MY IMAGINATION, IN MY GARDEN, AND AMONG MY MOUNTAIN WOMEN FRIENDS.




Sunday, July 6, 2008

My Friend Steve Holt

I met Steve Holt several years ago at the Hindman Settlement School's annual poetry workshop, held on the banks of Troublesome Creek in Hindman,Kentucky. Steve'svery first in-workshop writing, a response to my favorite introductory springboard--"That Time"---made me sit up and take notice. Over the course of that week, I came to realize that his was a voice just waiting to blossom. And blossom it has. He has just published his third book, this time with Finishing Line Press, and over the next two days I will be sharing more about him. For today, though, I'm only offering a "teaser,"hoping you will check back in tomorrow for another of his poems and more information about his new book.

Encounter

We came upon a gutted backcountry.
Whittled timber, rutted roads,
Tarpaper shacks.

And light strings of hair in rain,
So slight a girl. Retarded
In her speech, shy.

Down a harpstrung riffle she led us
To a pool hidden under willows
Dripping. Sweet fishing spot.

We gave her a 10-cent French pastry
Sprinkled with coconut, packaged
In cellophane. Store-bought.

-----Stephen Holt

No comments: