Welcome to where I am, where my kitchen's always messy, a pot's (or a poet) always about to boil over, a dog is always begging to be fed. Drafts of poems on the counter. Windows filled with leaves. Wind. Clouds moving over the mountains. If you like poetry, books, and music--especially dog howls when a siren unwinds down the hill-- you'll like it here.


MY NEW AUTHOR'S SITE, KATHRYNSTRIPLINGBYER.COM, THAT I MYSELF SET UP THROUGH WEEBLY.COM, IS NOW UP. I HAD FUN CREATING THIS SITE AND WOULD RECOMMEND WEEBLY.COM TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN SETTING UP A WEBSITE. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT MY NEW SITE TO KEEP UP WITH EVENTS RELATED TO MY NEW BOOK.


MY NC POET LAUREATE BLOG, MY LAUREATE'S LASSO, WILL REMAIN UP AS AN ARCHIVE OF NC POETS, GRADES K-INFINITY! I INVITE YOU TO VISIT WHEN YOU FEEL THE NEED TO READ SOME GOOD POEMS.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG, MOUNTAIN WOMAN, WHERE YOU WILL FIND UPDATES ON WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY KITCHEN, IN THE ENVIRONMENT, IN MY IMAGINATION, IN MY GARDEN, AND AMONG MY MOUNTAIN WOMEN FRIENDS.




Monday, November 17, 2008

Albany State University Rocks!



My two days at Albany State University, just a few miles from my hometown, Camilla, Georgia, gave me a new take on how to make poetry a more vital presence in a community's life, in this case a university community. As anyone who has spent much time in academia knows, the community is often divided into its separate groups, whether staff or faculty. Departments may have little to do with each other; as for staff, the janitors do their work, the security officers do theirs. When do they all ever come together in a meaningful way?

My friend, the poet, performer, and teacher Doris Davenport, who was the guiding force behind the poetry festival last week, organized a morning program that attempted to bring folks together. We heard students, professors from various departments, as well as staff reading favorite poems. There were even poems in French and Spanish, and, wait a minute, a poem about zombies! Dr. Joyce Cherry of the English Department read two of her own recently written poems, and Dr. Hill, the current English chair, gave a strong recitation of a Margaret Walker poem.


(Ebony recites Nikki Giovanni!)

We heard two security officers reading poems about what it's like to be a a "cop." And we heard a poem by an African poet recited to the accompaniment of students on African drums. The variety and diversity was bracing and exciting. The mistress of ceremonies was a student, Maggie Emily, who managed to make her job look easy. I myself find being emcee one of the trickiest gigs around.



(Maggie Emily and Dr. Doris Davenport after the morning program.)

That afternoon I, along with Doris, led a poetry workshop, though I think it's more accurate to say that I was led. We began with two poems by President-Elect Barack Obama, written when he was nineteen and a student at Occidental College. From these poems, we wrote our way into our own experiences, and then, that night, the students presented the poems they had written that afternoon.




(Doris Davenport after the student reading)


(Doris revving up the poetry workshop Thursday afternoon.)

Our second day found members of the English Department speaking and reading, and the poet/performer Seed (http://knoxword.blogspot.com/2004/09/knoxville-poetry-newsletter-vol-2-no.html) leading a workshop in poetry, music, and performance.



(Seed standing near the Ray Charles Plaza in Albany, Georgia.)

The day ended with me, Doris, and Seed gathering in the oldest building on campus, the lovely Orene Hall, to present our work to the audience. I don't think I've ever read poetry before a more enthusiastic group of listeners.

Later I will be presenting some of the poems from my workshop, but for now, enjoy my photos from the event.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great time that looks -- and sounds like! With Dr. Joyce Cherry and Dr. Doris Davenport, well what more could a person ask for -- except maybe to be there in person and jump up and down, smile lovingly and say: 'I love y'all very much! Thanks for the inspiration you both were.

Maggie Davenport