Welcome to where I am, where my kitchen's always messy, a pot's (or a poet) always about to boil over, a dog is always begging to be fed. Drafts of poems on the counter. Windows filled with leaves. Wind. Clouds moving over the mountains. If you like poetry, books, and music--especially dog howls when a siren unwinds down the hill-- you'll like it here.


MY NEW AUTHOR'S SITE, KATHRYNSTRIPLINGBYER.COM, THAT I MYSELF SET UP THROUGH WEEBLY.COM, IS NOW UP. I HAD FUN CREATING THIS SITE AND WOULD RECOMMEND WEEBLY.COM TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN SETTING UP A WEBSITE. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT MY NEW SITE TO KEEP UP WITH EVENTS RELATED TO MY NEW BOOK.


MY NC POET LAUREATE BLOG, MY LAUREATE'S LASSO, WILL REMAIN UP AS AN ARCHIVE OF NC POETS, GRADES K-INFINITY! I INVITE YOU TO VISIT WHEN YOU FEEL THE NEED TO READ SOME GOOD POEMS.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG, MOUNTAIN WOMAN, WHERE YOU WILL FIND UPDATES ON WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY KITCHEN, IN THE ENVIRONMENT, IN MY IMAGINATION, IN MY GARDEN, AND AMONG MY MOUNTAIN WOMEN FRIENDS.




Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Hungary: Returning to Budapest



After three days in Gyor, we headed back to Budapest, by bus this time. We enjoyed seeing the countryside up close and personal, and the ride reminded me of the many I had made as a college student traveling from Georgia to North Carolina. In the photo above, you can see the reflection of the window across the aisle when the shutter clicked.



Here below is the bird I originally thought was the rapacious eagle of empire but is instead the legendary Turul, the bird that helped save the Magyar people.





The bus lines in Hungary are top-notch, and this bus was comfortable and fast. After little more than two hours, our express bus was entering Budapest. Because I'd fallen in love with this city, I was thrilled to be back again!.



Even when what I saw on the outskirts looked pretty much like any other city! But I knew that in a short while we would be back on the banks of the Danube, heading toward our Hotel Orion, with only a few more hours left to enjoy Budapest.



Once back at the hotel, we discovered we were on the 5th floor.



But with a balcony. I was enthralled by the view, leaning out over the railing to see as much as I could. Here is what I saw on my left.



And yes, there she was, as I turned to look over the rooftops toward my right. Still holding her palm wreath, facing east. Toward the morning sun.



And just below me, the late afternoon light on the buildings.

No comments: