Welcome to where I am, where my kitchen's always messy, a pot's (or a poet) always about to boil over, a dog is always begging to be fed. Drafts of poems on the counter. Windows filled with leaves. Wind. Clouds moving over the mountains. If you like poetry, books, and music--especially dog howls when a siren unwinds down the hill-- you'll like it here.


MY NEW AUTHOR'S SITE, KATHRYNSTRIPLINGBYER.COM, THAT I MYSELF SET UP THROUGH WEEBLY.COM, IS NOW UP. I HAD FUN CREATING THIS SITE AND WOULD RECOMMEND WEEBLY.COM TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN SETTING UP A WEBSITE. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT MY NEW SITE TO KEEP UP WITH EVENTS RELATED TO MY NEW BOOK.


MY NC POET LAUREATE BLOG, MY LAUREATE'S LASSO, WILL REMAIN UP AS AN ARCHIVE OF NC POETS, GRADES K-INFINITY! I INVITE YOU TO VISIT WHEN YOU FEEL THE NEED TO READ SOME GOOD POEMS.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG, MOUNTAIN WOMAN, WHERE YOU WILL FIND UPDATES ON WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY KITCHEN, IN THE ENVIRONMENT, IN MY IMAGINATION, IN MY GARDEN, AND AMONG MY MOUNTAIN WOMEN FRIENDS.




Saturday, November 29, 2008

Making Thanksgiving Last, Despite Everything




The news of the Mumbai terrorist attacks, the trampling death of the Wal-Mart employee, and other appalling events too many to mention, have made wonder how we can keep Thanksgiving alive, day by day. I've found at least one way--celebrating our good teachers and student poets, working up a Christmas Gift List of books by NC writers on my ncpoetlaureate blog, and for this one, sharing some of the books I'm reading, some of the images that catch my eye (like our amazing holly tree) and, yes, what I'm discovering in the kitchen, if not in my poetry notebooks. After the 9/11 attacks, the kitchen was where I wanted to be.

Now I'm going to go into said kitchen, make stock from the turkey bones and concoct a new kind of "something" from leftover dressing and pumpkin pie mix. I'll let you know how it works out.

More about the holly tree in a few days!

2 comments:

Nancy Simpson said...

Hello Kay, I know how you feel. It is such a gloomy day. Something you wrote here struck a note -
"celebrating teachers and our writing students." I was feeling down earlier today when out of the blue one of my favorite students and one of yours too called me. Natalie Grant. What a good poet she is.

She called for one specific reason, to get the title of one of your poems I taught in the John C. Campbell Folk School class last summer - "THE CARPENTER." Nothing can blot out the "evil world soul" - D.H.Lawrence, but the call from Natalie Grant did do that for the minutes we talked and the minutes I scurried around and found the book and gave her the page number for your poem.

Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Thank you, Nancy. And when you have the time, could you send me Natalie's contact information?
K.