Welcome to where I am, where my kitchen's always messy, a pot's (or a poet) always about to boil over, a dog is always begging to be fed. Drafts of poems on the counter. Windows filled with leaves. Wind. Clouds moving over the mountains. If you like poetry, books, and music--especially dog howls when a siren unwinds down the hill-- you'll like it here.


MY NEW AUTHOR'S SITE, KATHRYNSTRIPLINGBYER.COM, THAT I MYSELF SET UP THROUGH WEEBLY.COM, IS NOW UP. I HAD FUN CREATING THIS SITE AND WOULD RECOMMEND WEEBLY.COM TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN SETTING UP A WEBSITE. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT MY NEW SITE TO KEEP UP WITH EVENTS RELATED TO MY NEW BOOK.


MY NC POET LAUREATE BLOG, MY LAUREATE'S LASSO, WILL REMAIN UP AS AN ARCHIVE OF NC POETS, GRADES K-INFINITY! I INVITE YOU TO VISIT WHEN YOU FEEL THE NEED TO READ SOME GOOD POEMS.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG, MOUNTAIN WOMAN, WHERE YOU WILL FIND UPDATES ON WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY KITCHEN, IN THE ENVIRONMENT, IN MY IMAGINATION, IN MY GARDEN, AND AMONG MY MOUNTAIN WOMEN FRIENDS.




Thursday, August 28, 2008

Looking out




I love looking out these windows in our living room. The sofa I'm sitting on right now faces the window pictured below. This afternoon the wind is moving through the leaves, the limbs of the trees sway, a few leaves fall. It's nearly the first of September, after all, and soon enough, we'll see even more of them coming to rest on the ground.




I am not the only one who likes to look out this window. Our little dog Lord Byron climbs up on the top of my husband's easy chair. But now look! Here's our big dog Bro sitting in the chair, looking out the window. He weighs nearly 80 pounds! His rump is hanging off. (The vet says he needs to lose weight.) I wonder what he sees out there. What he hears. The dogs are constant sources of humor, irritation, and affection. We know we are crazy to have so many of them.



In the meantime, we'll continue to look out the windows, the dogs and I. The leaves will change color and fall to earth, the clouds will keep churning on over the horizon, the students on the road below racing by, their brakes squealing. The first frost will come, leveling our garden and turning the stalks brown, leaving the basil little more than a summer dream. No more morning glories, zinnias, petunias. We'll kindle our first fire in the woodstove. We'll look to the pleasures of autumn and winter.

And we'll hope that our Big Bro will lose the ten pounds the vet has told us he must!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful piece. I was near your town yesterday. It is beautiful there and I could see the colors beginning in the forests. School has begun and it seems the entire earth is quieter than it was a week ago.
I love your photo of Bro. Our Rocky and our cat, Tiger love to sit and look out. I watch them and wonder what they are thinking.

Pat in east TN said...

I love your big windows, but I simply love light and looking out. When we built our house we had the builder add one big window in our dining area so as to have a better view of the backyard and woods ... I could sit there all day! All other windows are big and long and our dogs have always thought they were put there for them ... good for checking out what's going on in the world for them. HA!

We too are seeing leaves start to come down and a few reds in the maple trees. Yes, fall doesn't seem to be too far down the road.

Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Thanks, Glenda and Pat. I wish I had more windows in the house. I used to wake before dawn when I was a young girl and watch through my window the dawn come through the oak trees, how the silence began to echo with dogs barking and the darkness slowly began to gather itself up and depart.

Susan M. Bell said...

My cats love to sit and look out the window. I have bird feeders placed near the windows so they get a thrill every so often as birds flock to the seed. I try to put some on the windowsill as well so the birds come right up in front of the cats' faces. They talk to them, and I always wonder what they're saying. ("Hey, I'm gonna get you. If this window wasn't here...")

I also have a weight-problem pet. Major is around 18lbs. I've tried to get his weight down, but sometimes it's difficult. At least he's a happy cat.