Welcome to where I am, where my kitchen's always messy, a pot's (or a poet) always about to boil over, a dog is always begging to be fed. Drafts of poems on the counter. Windows filled with leaves. Wind. Clouds moving over the mountains. If you like poetry, books, and music--especially dog howls when a siren unwinds down the hill-- you'll like it here.


MY NEW AUTHOR'S SITE, KATHRYNSTRIPLINGBYER.COM, THAT I MYSELF SET UP THROUGH WEEBLY.COM, IS NOW UP. I HAD FUN CREATING THIS SITE AND WOULD RECOMMEND WEEBLY.COM TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN SETTING UP A WEBSITE. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT MY NEW SITE TO KEEP UP WITH EVENTS RELATED TO MY NEW BOOK.


MY NC POET LAUREATE BLOG, MY LAUREATE'S LASSO, WILL REMAIN UP AS AN ARCHIVE OF NC POETS, GRADES K-INFINITY! I INVITE YOU TO VISIT WHEN YOU FEEL THE NEED TO READ SOME GOOD POEMS.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG, MOUNTAIN WOMAN, WHERE YOU WILL FIND UPDATES ON WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY KITCHEN, IN THE ENVIRONMENT, IN MY IMAGINATION, IN MY GARDEN, AND AMONG MY MOUNTAIN WOMEN FRIENDS.




Saturday, January 24, 2009

My OFFICE BULLETIN BOARD

Why not begin with Emmylou? This is the Appalachian State arts/entertainment flyer from the fall semester 06 when I was their Writer-in-Residence. I'd wanted to go to her performance, but it was sold out by the time I got around to calling. Emmylou was at UNCG just a little while after I was there and was baby-sitter for some of the English faculty, according to stories I heard. She sang in some of the local coffee houses, before she set out to become Emmylou Harris. I love this dress and wish I could wear one like it! I recently bought a cd of "Pieces of the Sky," the first record of hers I heard so many years ago. I still like it.



Here's a photo of me and my dear friend Isabel Zuber at the first Smoky Mt. Book Festival in Sylva. You can see copies of her novel SALT on the table. If you haven't read this book yet, you must.



I won't apologize for being a proud mother. This is my daughter Corinna's poem "A Start of Snow" that she wrote as a college freshman. NOW AND THEN magazine published it.



I like this photo of my brother and Janisse Ray, author of ECOLOGY OF A CRACKER CHILDHOOD and WILDCARD QUILT, among others. I snapped this at a Landowner's Day at the Jones Ecological Center in Baker County, Ga., just about 4 miles from our farm. Janisse, who is from SE Georgia, is a terrific writer and a committed environmentalist and I'd encourage anybody to read her work.



And finally, for this post, an ancient clipping from THE CAMILLA ENTERPRISE showing me with my Grand Champion Hampshire hog when I was in the 8th grade. That was some pig! The judge told my father that it was one of the finest he'd seen. The FFA boys were not happy. I was a mere 4-H'er. And---a girl!!


5 comments:

Jane said...

Wonderful! Emmylou's CD that came out last June is marvelous, one of the best in a long time. Give it a listen. I love the 4H photo. To quote Charlotte, "That's some pig!"

Nancy Simpson said...

Kay, this morning I got caught up in your writing space. I love the photo of you and Isabel Zuber. I have read her book Salt cover to cover twice and I own it. I would love to see Isabel. I love Cory's poem "A Start of Snow" and love best the clipping of you 8th grade with the prize pig. I was reading this morning a poem about your grandfather, him accidentally bidding on a hog, his death. I have to tell you again but you should know, I love your poetry better than breakfast.

Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Hi Nancy, that's the best compliment any poet could have! Better than breakfast.

Jane, I'll have to grab Emmylou's new cd. It must have slipped right by me. Thanks for letting me know.

Nancy said...

I have been an Emmylou fan since the mid-70s (before either of us had cultivated the silver threads). If she has a CD (or album) I don't own, I don't know it. I even have all the Gram Parsons recordings, Bob Dylan's Desire (with her great harmony). Whenever we go back to visit Alabama (also her home), when we get back to the North Carolina mountains on our drive home, my husband always asks me to play Emmylou. He thinks her music is the perfect soundtrack for our drive home.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!