Welcome to where I am, where my kitchen's always messy, a pot's (or a poet) always about to boil over, a dog is always begging to be fed. Drafts of poems on the counter. Windows filled with leaves. Wind. Clouds moving over the mountains. If you like poetry, books, and music--especially dog howls when a siren unwinds down the hill-- you'll like it here.


MY NEW AUTHOR'S SITE, KATHRYNSTRIPLINGBYER.COM, THAT I MYSELF SET UP THROUGH WEEBLY.COM, IS NOW UP. I HAD FUN CREATING THIS SITE AND WOULD RECOMMEND WEEBLY.COM TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN SETTING UP A WEBSITE. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT MY NEW SITE TO KEEP UP WITH EVENTS RELATED TO MY NEW BOOK.


MY NC POET LAUREATE BLOG, MY LAUREATE'S LASSO, WILL REMAIN UP AS AN ARCHIVE OF NC POETS, GRADES K-INFINITY! I INVITE YOU TO VISIT WHEN YOU FEEL THE NEED TO READ SOME GOOD POEMS.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG, MOUNTAIN WOMAN, WHERE YOU WILL FIND UPDATES ON WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY KITCHEN, IN THE ENVIRONMENT, IN MY IMAGINATION, IN MY GARDEN, AND AMONG MY MOUNTAIN WOMEN FRIENDS.




Tuesday, March 17, 2015

WRITING KWANSABA POEMS, student prompt # 4

First daffodil in my front yard!

My friend Lenard Moore, one of this year's North Carolina Awards
winners in Literature, introduced me to the Kwansaba poetry form.  Go to this link on my laureate blog, My Laureate's Lasso, to read more about Lenard and the the http://ncpoetlaureate.blogspot.com/2009/05/kwansaba-poems-by-lenard-moores.html

The Kwansaba came into being as a praise song.
The Kwansaba is a poem consisting of seven lines. Each line has no more than seven words. Each word has no more than seven letters. Thus, the form, revolving around the number 7, adding up to 49 words, is based on the seven principles of the Kwanzaa celebration.

Here is a Kwansaba I just wrote, after looking up at the leafless trees outside my window,  waiting to turn green again.

March 18

Spring is almost here. I can smell
it in the wind. See my dog's 
nose twitch! He sniffs the valley air
and dreams the red fox we saw
last spring runs again along the ridge
where green gets ready to leaf out
and we get ready to sing praise!

2 comments:

Glenda Beall said...

How nice to have your blog post appear in my blog list today. Love this form and the poem.

Tina Nadiradze said...

My thoughts exactly, Glenda :)
I read Kathryn's poems in my teen years, translated into Georgian. That was before the internet era. Now i enjoy her work from this beautiful blog. <3 Love this poem!